Wednesday, 21 August 2013

May '13 // South Downs walk with John Jones and the Reluctant Ramblers

The South Downs is a pretty scenic place to walk and close to where I live in Brighton. In May I walked with John Jones and the Reluctant Ramblers for approximately 30km. We were quite a few smiley faces and after almost a whole day of walking we enjoyed a live gig in Trevor Arms pub. Guests included Boff Whalley, Benji Kirkpatrick and members of The Copper Family.

John Jones, the charismatic lead singer of award-winning Oysterband, has been an avid walker for many years.

In John Jones and the Reluctant Ramblers website JJ explains the idea behing the walks. I always love how some people can make things happen...


 “I had the crazy idea of walking to gigs a few years ago and somehow managed to persuade reluctant musicians and a smiling but sceptical agency to help. Rushing from gig to gig, crowded motorways, increased stress levels and time wasted staring out of tour bus windows at inviting hills rolling by just made me think: walking 20 miles, setting up in a pub, church, canalside…anywhere…was worth trying as a much-needed alternative. It caught people’s imagination...”


.........................
here are some photos I took on that beautiful day
There we are, smiley walkers...


Glorious countryside

me and Tom, the man with the map...

I don't drink often but this cold beer looked gorgeous after all this walking...

The Cooper Family arrives in style...

A day full of sun, a night full of music


No comments: